On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Robert Cummings <rob...@interjinn.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 09:03 -0200, Edgar da Silva (Fly2k) wrote:
>> The question is interesting.
>>
>> I do another question: Will PHP5 support PHP4 backward compatibility
>> forever? Ok I'm rediculous, forever not, but, until 5.3 or 6?
>
> I think once PHP6 comes out we'll find that some PHP4 idiosyncracies
> currently tolerated by PHP5 will become fatal errors. At which point
> projects like CodeIgniter will probably cease PHP4 support and instead
> span their support across PHP5 and 6.
>
>> I really don't know how CI thinks about evolution, but I'm very
>> curious why don't use the new features that provide good evolution?
>
> I think that's partly a question of what one considers a good feature.
> Just because a feature exists doesn't mean it should necessarily be
> used.

I agree in parts. Things "doesn't mean its should necessarlly" is very
very relative. If we think in this way, like PHP is a simple language
(but very powerfull) we doesn't have to use OOP to build one
application, for example.

We need to think carefully about the life time of the application.
Mainly when we are talking about frameworks. Watch the evolution
walking aside is very important.

Another point, talking about frameworks, extending some feature in
some times is necessary. Doing in PHP4 using OOP to do this is extend
a real class that works like astract class, but there is no interface
class, its would be hard to provide reliability. What can do in PHP5.

Altough, I agree with you we don't need to implement all new features,
but, we need to be carefull with what features evolved. Again, "It's
works" isn't a good reason. Mainly in this case.

--
Abraços
Edgar Ferreira da Silva