On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 09:03 -0200, Edgar da Silva (Fly2k) wrote:
> The question is interesting.
>
> I do another question: Will PHP5 support PHP4 backward compatibility
> forever? Ok I'm rediculous, forever not, but, until 5.3 or 6?

I think once PHP6 comes out we'll find that some PHP4 idiosyncracies
currently tolerated by PHP5 will become fatal errors. At which point
projects like CodeIgniter will probably cease PHP4 support and instead
span their support across PHP5 and 6.

> I really don't know how CI thinks about evolution, but I'm very
> curious why don't use the new features that provide good evolution?

I think that's partly a question of what one considers a good feature.
Just because a feature exists doesn't mean it should necessarily be
used.

> "It's Works" don't seem to me one good reason to not do evolution.
> Mainly when some concepts are deprecated.
>
> I'm don't talking that CI is not good or enough, just, I offer IMHO
> some interesting questions.

I don't know how CI works, just that I also maintain backward
compatibility for my framework to PHP4. However, I'm finding now that
there's not much point since almost all of my client applications are
now running on PHP5.

Cheers,
Rob.
--