On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 10:54 -1000, Daniel Kolbo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I changed the subject because I did not want to steal Nitsan's thread.

I hope you started a "New" email and didn't just change the subject...
otherwise you've hijacked the thread. I can't tell I keep threading off.

> There seem to be a ton of frameworks, one-click installation web
> applications, the latest and greatest wiz-bang applications out there.
> I find myself extremely reluctant to dig into these code sets.  It seems
> when I do attempt to use one of these pre-coded applications I end up
> eventually wanting to modify the code outside of the original extent of
> the project.  Invariably I get frustrated and end up wishing I initially
> begun the development from scratch.  Employers seem to be wanting me to
> have experience with all kinds of 'gimicky' solutions, but I am
> reluctant to be constantly learning new applications (that i'd prefer to
> rewrite myself).  Am I just being hard headed and reluctant to change,
> or is my stance justified?  I suppose the answer is the middle-path.
> That is, read some new projects, take the bits I like, leave the bits I
> don't, etc...The problem is this isn't very marketable.  But I suppose,
> the proof is in the pudding.  What a banal way to end an email, eh?
>
> What are your thoughts in regard to these two forces: wiz-bang
> frameworks vs. raw php development?
> thanks,

I have my own framework that I wrote from scratch. I still learn other
frameworks to some degree. Clients don't want you writing something from
scratch when you can use something off the shelf. Preferrably you can
hit the ground almost running with anything put before you, and
hopefully they can give you that benefit of the doubt. Do I suggest you
learn all frameworks? No! But do round yourself out and show that you
are flexible. Nobody wants an immovable object in front of them.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com