At 10:24 AM -0400 3/23/09, Robert Cummings wrote:

My point is, just because new techniques and technoloigies
come out, is in no way a boundary condition on an existing technology's
lifespan or efficacy in any particular environment. The deprecation of
usefulness of any technology is based on many more variables than
"Jquery - The New Game just began". Jquery runs in the browser, it will
never replace server side data acquisition, caching, and manipulation.
It will merely augment. Moreover, it is completely useless when
JavaScript is disabled. Your post also made the assumption that PHP is
used for web sites only. Many people are using it for other tasks too.
Popularity is also not a useful metric of the demise of a language. It
may just be that less people are familiar with JQuery and so there are
more questions whereas PHP has been around long enough that the bulk of
people interested in it have a good enough foundation in it that they
don't need to ask questions.

Cheers,
Rob.

Rob:

All good and excellent points.

However, I have heard of "new" javascript being run server-side. What's the likelihood of that "catching on" and surpassing php?

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------