On Mon, 2009-03-23 at 15:58 +0200, Sancar Saran wrote:
> On Monday 23 March 2009 12:33:58 Robert Cummings wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-03-23 at 11:52 +0200, Sancar Saran wrote:
> > > Probably a bit off topic and
> > >
> > > The Game is over man.
> > >
> > > Javascript coming with flank speed. Next generation JS Framworks will
> > > take html generation jobs from server side.
> > >
> > > Whole thing of Server Side MVC and other yada yada was became joke. Those
> > > server siders become JSON pushers for JS frameworks.
> > >
> > > Astrosurfing ?
> > >
> > > Yeah, just compare PHP mailing list vs Jquery Mailing list activity.
> > >
> > > And The New Game just begun...
> >
> > Yeah, I hear C has been replaced too.
> >

> Well, I did not see you to write your web app with C.

I write in C still. I have a mud I work on in my spare time...
admittedly MUDs aren't a good example since they are dated... but this
particular one shares C code, via compile-time macros, with associated
PHP extensions to speed up certain aspects of data parsing and
evaluation. My point is, just because new techniques and technoloigies
come out, is in no way a boundary condition on an existing technology's
lifespan or efficacy in any particular environment. The deprecation of
usefulness of any technology is based on many more variables than
"Jquery - The New Game just began". Jquery runs in the browser, it will
never replace server side data acquisition, caching, and manipulation.
It will merely augment. Moreover, it is completely useless when
JavaScript is disabled. Your post also made the assumption that PHP is
used for web sites only. Many people are using it for other tasks too.
Popularity is also not a useful metric of the demise of a language. It
may just be that less people are familiar with JQuery and so there are
more questions whereas PHP has been around long enough that the bulk of
people interested in it have a good enough foundation in it that they
don't need to ask questions.

Cheers,
Rob.
--