I'll chime in on this one.

I've been job hunting recently, and I can say that while I've seen a lot of
people asking for Java experience, I'm not sure I've seen a single posting
asking specifically for PHP.  There've been a few looking for Drupal, or
Wordpress, but no "You must be able to write PHP code to work here".

I can also say that the more I work with Java-based programs, the more I
want to see Java written into history books as a terrible idea that sadly
persisted until nearly 2014.  As an example:  I need to provide IT support
to people using a tool written in Java.  It turns out that if you install
Java 7, the tool doesn't work at all.  If you install Java 6 with the
newest updates, it works, but occasionally crashes the entire computer.
No, you have to have Java 6 update 22 in order for this software to be
reliable.

There are other tools I've used that failed completely on minor version
switches, and that just plain SHOULDN'T HAPPEN.  Yes, there are going to be
minor changes when a language upgrades, that's why there are upgrades.  But
they're usually minor, in a "This didn't work the way it was supposed to,
so we fixed it" kind of way.  If you were taking advantage of that bug, you
get knocked down, but the vast majority of software will keep running.
Java doesn't seem to work that way, at least from an IT worker's
perspective.

Andy McKenzie