I don't see anything in the annotations for include() about losing
variable definitions...the notes that I see that look remotely relevant
are those regarding what PHP considers to be the "current directory"
when doing nested includes, which would cause problems in locating the
include files themselves, not in losing their contents.

If that's what you're referring to, see bug#11362 - per Zeev, the
current CVS  (as well as PHP 4.0.7 when it's released), has changed to a
behavior that should be more likely to do WhatTheScriptProgrammerMeant
in most cases.

---
Mark Roedel ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  ||  "There cannot be a crisis next week.
Systems Programmer / WebMaster  ||   My schedule is already full."
     LeTourneau University      ||                    -- Henry Kissinger