> session_start();
> session_unregister(val_1);
> session_register(val_1);
>
> I am doing this to clear the contents of val_1 before I use it again.
> Needless to say its not working. val_1 always contains the
> same value until

session_registering()'ing a variable just puts it in a list of names of the
session variables. session_unregister() just removes the name from the list.
Neither function affects the variable's value.

To clear the variable's value, just assign it to blank, or call unset() on
it, e.g.,

$val_1 = "";
unset($val_1);

There is no need, or use, in unregistering it, then registering it again.

Kirk