I have learned (and used) both PHP and ASP.  However, when I was beginning
with PHP, I always made it first on ASP then re-implemented on PHP.  I
always found PHP to be easier, shorter (but more powerful) logic (scripts
are shorter than ASP).

I guess it has served me well, I have learned to do it "the HARD" way and
then learn to do it easier and in a short time with PHP.  I guess it is  the
experience you have with programming: all the "tinkering", discoveries of
unusual command and function behaviors (c'mon we ALL have been tru this!),
OS and web server particularities, etc.  That's the kind of background any
employer would like to know and I have to agree with John in that point.

I specialize in PHP and MySQL on Windows NT/2K with IIS/Apache.  I know it's
impossible to be good in everything, but at least knowing a good piece from
each is not bad either.  For example, you don't have to be Picasso to paint
a house!  I have to admit, that not all people have the *aptitude* to do
this type of work, that's what makes the difference between exceptional
individuals and "plain Joes".  I can't judge myself on what type I am, or
believe that I'm something I may not be, that's a judgement others have to
take about me.  I just do my best to be on the "exceptionals" list.

my 2 cents.