This is an aside ...

At 02:08 AM 8/25/01 -0400, Cristopher Daniluk wrote:
>After following this thread for a while, it seems like there is a lot of
>discrepancy between what is "success" and what isn't for PHP. I do not
>believe PHP will ever become the ubiquitous web language, if for no other
>reason than because it isn't always the right choice for your web based
>project.

Ubiquity comes from having a hammer, and treating everything like a nail. A
person uses the tool he's comfortable with, and knows its quirks and
shortcuts. I do not believe, despite periodic resurgence, that there will
ever be one "master" language. Past candidates were ... Modula, ADA,
Smalltalk  ... others? Remember the "fifth generation" computers?

The competent craftsman either uses the right tool, or knows how to quickly
bodge something together with what is at hand. Same for programmers, of
whatever sex.

>PHP is already a strong option in many corporate environments.
>Really from what I've seen lately, the only reason it loses out to Java, ASP
>(uggh), or other similar options is that it is difficult to find a team of
>qualified PHP developers. Even if you can get the project off the ground,
>the continual maintenance is a problem.

I believe this does a great injustice to the many fine programmers who have
mastered one or more languages, but have not yet encountered PHP. Anyone
who has a sound working knowledge of  Java, ASP, Python or Perl, and is a
competent programmer, would become productive very quickly in PHP. T'aint
that difficult. Even a VB user may come to appreciate its brevity and
conciseness. <g>

As for the maintenance issue, that relates more to design and judicious use
of comments. It is very easy, particularly with PHP or ASP, to produce
pages with a horrible, hard-to-follow commingling of straight HTML and
scripting language, so that maintenance, for anyone, is very difficult. It
is also easy to end up with obfuscated code in any of the main line,
structured, languages.

Miles Thompson