Hi, I'm not sure this is the right list to post this, and i'm not even
sure if there is already a solution to this problem, in which case,
sorry...

Ok, my problem: PHP has (as you all know) a mail() function which is
very handy to send mail to people. Now, with the advent and subsequent
ease of MySQL into the picture, anyone who have a bit of time on their
hands and a table filled wiith e-mail addresses, can easily write a loop
sending  bulk mail or spam to thousands of users listed in the table.
The problem with this as you might know, is that the mail() function
seems to invoke a new sendmail process (on Unix boxes) for each mail()
call, meaning that you can very quickly crash your sendmail if you have
a fast enough server and a large enough list of addresses in the table.
I know that using php to send so much mail is not the right answer, but
there are people out there who DON'T know this, and are using this
method, or at least trying to, causing great headaches to many
administrators, as there is no way of preventing someone (barring a full
on removal of the user's rights) from doing so again and again.
Now, my question is, isn't it possible to re-write the mail function to
instead of treating each call to the mail function as a separate event,
to rather see it as a "global event", ie., when called, it will always
assume that more is coming until it gets a "finished" call. This way,
surely, it should be possible to have the entire batch sent directly to
the mail queue instead of trying to send the messages immediately as it
comes in, thereby clogging sendmail and causing it to shut down...

Unfortunately, I am not a programmer, so I would not be able to help
much when it comes to doing this, but maybe the guys working on the code
could look into this? Like I said, I am not sure if there might already
be another way of solving this (not third party solutions like mailling
list managers...) but if there is, and someone reading this and knows of
one, please post me the solution! I really need to know that a single
user on one of my websites cannot cause the entire systems mail to clog.

Thanks alot, and keep up the good work, PHP is still the best!

Petre Agenbag
South Africa