Two things come to mind when compiling under redhat 6.x

1) Delete all headers and libs relating to gd in /usr/lib and /usr/include
these are old and will cause conflicts.

2) Use --with-..-dir=..

Here is my successful configure command assuming you have successfully
installed freetype2 and gd with frretype2 support. redhat comes with
compatible zlib, png and jpeg libs

./configure \
--prefix=/usr/local/Zend \
--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs \
--with-config-file-path=/usr/local/Zend/etc \
--with-mysql=../../mysql \
--with-gd=/usr/local/gd \
--with-freetype-dir=/usr/local/freetype2 \
--with-png-dir=/usr \
--with-jpeg-dir=/usr \
--with-zlib-dir=/usr \
--with-xml \
--with-pdf \
--enable-wddx \
--enable-sockets \
--enable-track-vars \
--disable-debug

Hope this helps some as I too had major troubles geeting gd support under
php seems to work really well now though.

Regards,

Joseph