On 12-29 12:56, David Jackson wrote:
> Sean --
> Don't know if this help but here's what I just worked for me.
> What ver. of PHP are you using? It seem to me that 3.x.x needs
> PHPLIB: http://sourceforge.net/projects/phplib
> to handle sessions?  -- David Jackson
>
> --- sean.php -------
> <?php include("seaninc.php"); ?>
>
> --- seaninc.php ------
> <?php
> session_start();
> session_register("i");
> $i++;
> echo $i;
> ?>

I'm using 4.0.6. I believe session handling was added as part of standard
4.x, right (if configured to compile it)?

Some more info: I tried with Konqueror, as I know a cookie needs to be sent
during the session_start() phase - I did get a dialog pop-up asking if I
wanted to accept the cookie, but I still got the error:

Fatal error: Failed to initialize session module in
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/sesstest.php on line 2

It says line 2 because I deleted some white space and commented out
code thas was before session_start().

I set logging errors on, and sent it to syslog. Here's what it says:
Dec 29 12:12:57 free httpd: PHP Fatal error:  Failed to initialize session
module in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/sesstest.php on line 2
Dec 29 12:12:57 free httpd: PHP Warning:  Failed to write session data
(user). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is
correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

But /tmp exists, and is world writeable:

free# ls -ld /tmp
drwxrwxrwt  16 root  wheel  1024 Dec 29 12:14 /tmp

> > On 12-29 09:59, Miles Thompson wrote:
> >> Sean,
> >>
> >> What's going on in incl.php. Are you issuing a session_start()?
> >
> > No, I was not.
> >
> >> What if it's rearranged like so, as I understand you have to register
> >> the session variable  before using it.
> >>
> >> include("incl.php");
> >> session_start();
> >> session_register("mine");
> >> $mine++;
> >> echo $mine;
> >
> > No dice, either. Actually, I had tried several permutations of the
> > order  before posting. :)
> >

> >> There's the divide and conquer approach too.  What do you see if you
> >> comment out the include, then issue a phpinfo() and a die()?
> >
> > Okay, I tried commenting out include, resulting in this code:
> >
> > session_start();
> > session_register("i");
> > $i++;
> > echo $i;
> >
> > When I run the above, I get this:
> > Fatal error: Failed to initialize session module in
> > /usr/local/apache/htdocs/sesstest.php on line 6
> >
> > Which is getting somewhere, in a way. Line 6 is session_start();
> >
> > What part from phpinfo() output were you interested in? Or did you want
> > to see all of it?
> >
> > Thanks for the help.
> >

> >> HTH and Merry Christmas / Happy New Year - Miles Thompson

> > --
> > Sean LeBlanc:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Yahoo:seanleblancathome
> > ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome
> > One learns to itch where one can scratch.
> > -Ernest Bramah
> > Management QOTD:Get hopping on the domain expertise!!
> >

> > --
> > To contact the list administrators, e-mail:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sean LeBlanc:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome
In most countries selling harmful things like drugs is punishable. Then
howcome people can sell Microsoft software and go unpunished?
-Hasse Skrifvars
Management QOTD:Work out a solution that fits with problem management!!