Hello,

I am extremely new to MySQL and have never managed to get working
smoothly with PHP before. I am trying really hard to understand
how to work it, and am almost there.

I have a problem which I do not know how to resolve and was
wondering if anybody could help me. I have no idea what is wrong
with the code and why I am getting the error message;

Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in
C:\apache\htdocs\sams\chapter10\results.php on line 47

I am currently using a book to aid me with MySQL, and this is an
example from the book. It does not seem to work and I have no idea
what I may have done wrong to obtain this warning.

I have changed my login and password to question marks.

<?

  if (!$searchtype || !$searchterm)

  {
     echo "You have not entered search details.  Please go back and try
again.";

     exit;

  }

  $searchtype = addslashes($searchtype);

  $searchterm = addslashes($searchterm);

  @ $db = mysql_pconnect("mesh", "bookorama", "bookorama123");

  if (!$db)

  {
     echo "Error: Could not connect to database.  Please try again later.";

     exit;

  }

  mysql_select_db("booktest");

  $query = "select * from booktest where ".$searchtype." like
'%".$searchterm."%'";

  $result = mysql_query($query);

  $num_results = mysql_num_rows($result);

  echo "<p>Number of books found: ".$num_results."</p>";

  for ($i=0; $i <$num_results; $i++)

  {

     $row = mysql_fetch_array($result);

     echo "<p><strong>".($i+1).". Title: ";

     echo stripslashes($row["title"]);

     echo "</strong><br>Author: ";

     echo stripslashes($row["author"]);

     echo "<br>ISBN: ";

     echo stripslashes($row["isbn"]);

     echo "<br>Price: ";

     echo stripslashes($row["price"]);

     echo "</p>";

  }

?>

The problem seems to be around the lines of code;

$result = mysql_query($query);

$num_results = mysql_num_rows($result);

Any assistance is appreciated.

Yours,