Well, yes there are a number of people, including myself, Sun, Aol and loads of
others that are very interested in what is going to emerge as the king of distributed
authentication and who will, if anyone, will be the king of providing web services
that
work. It's a very exciting and new area for the programming world and open source
needs to make it's response. But that doesn't really mean that *nix folks are
cheering for C#.

Everyone knows that the desktop market will continue to shrink from here on out
and software manufacturers need to be able to provide high-quality secure online
applications that work. .Net is a platform doing so with Passport as the
authentication mechanism.

I wonder how PHP will fit into this whole distributed application framework, if it
will. I
have written a PHP authentication module, that could possibly be distrubuted,
hmmm.

We are off topic, sorry. If anyone wants to respond to this, just email directly.

On 12 Feb 2002 at 23:41, Michael Sims wrote:

> > > C# actually seems to be getting quite a lot of positive mentions
> > > in the *nix world at the moment.
> > >
> >Interesting, where are you seeing them? I am not being a jerk, I am
> >serious do you
> >have links, I am very interested in C# as is the rest of the programming
> >world - I am
> >just too lazy to go google and search for it.
>
> Well, the projects that are underway to create a open source implementation
> of the .NET platform as evidence that at least some people in the *nix
> world have been quite taken with it...perhaps not C# in particular, but the
> entire framework:
>
> http://www.dotgnu.org/
>
> http://www.ximian.com/devzone/projects/mono.html

K E I T H  V A N C E