On 12 Feb 2002, at 13:30, George PHP wrote:

> So you want to say that PHP is going nowhere in the
> States? Maybe we should be doing ASP!

You should probably be doing Java, but oh well. Java on M$ with
Oracle. I've been hitting the job boards and those are the jobs that
are jumping out. If you do PHP you should also be doing
Photoshop and Dreamweaver  and all sorts of other generally
incompatible things :(

> > I just moved to NYC from Germany and I'm looking for
> > job here.
> > Where would be a good place to look?

George,

Get a list of all the consulting/temp offices in NYC. Put your
resume, sign up, etc. with all of them.

http://www.panix.com/~grvsmth/redguide/tips/register.html

That redguide seemed like a real good idea but it doesn't look like
it has kept up but the above article is good.

I don't live in NYC but I just did a quick search and found this:

http://manhattan.about.com/cs/employment/

Don't sit at home and work the internet (do that at night perhaps).
You really have to make contact with people and build up those
networking skills. I've been looking for a job for about 4 months now
but I've only been using the web.  I get a little work from the local
RHIC office. My skills are Perl/PHP (and only with a month of PHP
but I scored higher on that test than Perl which I've been using for 7
years:) ... Demand is in Java. And of course demand is in that
which doesn't exist and so be prepared to bullshit.

Were I you I'd take just about any job that is related just to get out
and make contacts. Only reason I'm not doing this yet is because
I'm working on ... gosh ... on creating a website that will make me
money :):) ... I think I've got a good idea and if I make 1/3 of my
(like where costs are 1/5 of where I'm living now).  I have found no
luck at online freelance programming even though I did manage to
pull in over US$500 a month doing this in my free time a few years
ago. Now ... nothing. Incredible.

Hit the pavement. See if there is some local PHP group (like a Perl
mongers group) or a linux users group if you're into that. Talk to
people.

Peter