Speaking of sessions, I was wondering if something like this is even
possible:  Users log on, each has their own unique session..  Is it possible
to do some sort of instant messaging deal with this?  Like, on the main page
is displays everyone that's logged on, then you maybe choose their name from
a form, type in a message, then a pop-up box appears with the message to the
user?

I only know how to use sessions for authentication, something like this I'd
have no idea where to start.  If it is possible, could someone point me in
the right direction?