Not sure I understand how you concluded that web server should not create
files, it certainly should not be able to create files on client machines
without permission of user (which it cannot do).  Users should not be able
to upload files to the server without the permission of the web application,
but if a web application performs the upload and controls where the file
goes and what is in the file, that would be safe.  If the web application
completely controls where temporary files go and what goes in them
(variables) then how is that unsafe?

On the subject of using the database, check out which environment variables
that actually control session management (you can do this by running the
phpinfo() function.  There are two major configuration options which you
have full control over; 1. If the sys admin controls the "default"
configuration of where to write the session data (usually points to /tmp
directory), then the session_set_save_handler function is your way to
override those parameters.  2.  In fact if you read the routine that
performs garbage collection (deletes expired session data) session
management will pass to that routine the parameter that controls the default
lifetime from the sysadmin's setup data, which you as the writer of the
routine are free to ignore and use your own.  Only caveat is you need to
include these routines in every page that records data to a session (no big
deal).

I wish you luck on this, you seem to have been advised on some rules, by
people who didn't know what they were talking about, or perhaps you
understood their recommendations out of context, and that makes it hard for
you.  I really think session management is the way to resolve your problem.
It would be interesting for you to get a couple of opinions on the subject
of creating files on a server.  You could create routines that would write
to physical files in these save_handler functions and put them in your user
directory if you like, but I would not mix these files in the same directory
as your application code, perhaps a sub directory.  I would be willing to
bet there are log files that are updated on your server every time someone
accesses one of your web pages.

Good luck,

Warren Vail