My script is:
<?php
session_start();
printf("<P> loggin on as ");
printf ("<P>user name: ");
printf ($HTTP_POST_VARS['User']);
printf ("<P>Password: ");printf ($HTTP_POST_VARS['Password']);
printf ("<P>");

    /* Connecting, selecting database */
    $link = mysql_pconnect("localhost", $HTTP_POST_VARS['User'],
$HTTP_POST_VARS['Password'])
        or die("Could not connect");
    print "Connected successfully<P>";
    printf ("<BR>");
    print "Setting Global variables<BR>";
    $_SESSION_VARS["dbauser"]=($HTTP_POST_VARS['User']);
    $_SESSION_VARS["dbapassword"]=($HTTP_POST_VARS['Password']);
    printf ($_SESSION_VARS["dbauser"]);
    printf ("<BR>");
    printf ($_SESSION_VARS["dbapassword"],"<BR>");
?>
<P>
  The errors I get are:
Warning: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output
started at c:\usr\www\my-domain\databaselogin.php:3) in
c:\usr\www\my-domain\databaselogin.php on line 4

Warning: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output
started at c:\usr\www\my-domain\databaselogin.php:3) in
c:\usr\www\my-domain\databaselogin.php on line 4

loggin on as

user name: stampuser

Password: vantwest

Connected successfully

Obviously I have something not configured correctly, or I am calling the
function in the wrong place.  Any advice on how to overcome this would be
very useful.

Regards

Peter Goggin