I'm really battling with this whole session thing.
My first impressions are that cookies are OK, and really helps to make
sessions workable and efficient, YET, from a developers point of view, I
always play devils advocate, and I'm wondering about those stubbourne
individuals out there who outright refuse cookies; rendering my
application useless unless I code a "plan B" into my code; meaning I can
just as well NOT use cookies from the start...
"catch 22 dejavu..."
What are the general feeling out there amongst developers about the use
of cookies?
I'm concerned about the following scenario specifically:
I develop my great application using session controll - which uses
cookies by default, or alternatively adds the sid to the relative URL's
on the page, YET, from responses to my previous posting, I gather that
the "alternative" url method is not 100% the same as the cookie method
inthat it doesn't work with IFRAMES etc. Leaving me to think that there
will potentially be people out there that will NOT be able to use the
application, that could lead to messy discussions between developer and
client...

Before I started to read up on sessions, I simply used my own form of
session management by sending all relevant variables either via URL or
via form fields to the subsequent pages. Obviously this method leaves a
bunch of holes as well, but I KNOW that my application is always pure
and simple HTML, doesn't have browser issues, doesn't have cookie
issues, so 100% of the internet community can use it.

Does anyone out there have a view/practise when it comes to
session/cookies? - basically I am still not convinced that using
sessions/cookies is a good idea, but I would love to be educated as to
why I should...