says...
> Hello;
>
> I have a Mandrake 8.2 machine that I'm trying to get a php webmail
> application running on. Apache is running, php is installed, and when I
> attempt to view/use index.php my browser offers to download "index.php"
> for me. I have tried 4 different browsers on three different machines.
>
> I have absolutely no idea what I did wrong. Can someone point me in the
> right direction?
>
> Thanks so much in advance
>
> Paul Kelly

There need to be some AddType entries in your httpd.conf to let apache
know what type of files need to be parsed by php.

Something like (from one of mine):

    # AddType allows you to tweak mime.types without actually editing it,
or to
    # make certain files to be certain types.

    # For PHP 4.x, use:
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php3 .html

This will cause .php .php3 and .html files to be parsed by php and will
cause .phps files to be shown as highlighted source code. Modify to suit
your needs and remember to restart apache after making changed to either
httpd.conf or php.ini.

Cheers
--
David Robley