The Situation:

I'm trying to create a pair of dynamic dropdown boxes where the options in
the second box are dependent on the selection in the first box.  I call the
first box "categories" and the second, "subcategories".  I want to store the
categories and subcategories in a mysql table(s) so that a user can
dynamically update them.  Currently, I have a single table called
categories, with columns: id, category, and subcategory.

The primary code for selecting the options for the second box is in
javascript.  This code makes use of the following datasets for storing the
various categories and subcategories.  If I can get php to generate this
text, then the dependent boxes will work.

datasets=new Array();
datasets[0]="Category1,subCategory1_1,subCategory1_2,subCategory1_3,subCateg
ory1_4".split(",");
datasets[1]="Category2,subCategory2_1,subCategory2_2,subCategory2_3".split("
,");
datasets[2]="Category3,subCategory3_1, subCategory3_2,
subCategory3_3,subCategory3_4,subCategory3_5".split(",");
datasets[3]="Category4,subCategory4_1,subCategory4_2,subCategory4_3,subCateg
ory4_4".split(",");
datasets[4]="Category5,subCategory5_1,subCategory5_2,subCategory5_3,subCateg
ory5_4,subCategory5_5,subCategory5_6".split(",");
etc…

The Problem:

Using the following code I can get php to print the results, but only in a
line-by-line, category/subcategory format.  Of course, this is NOT what is
needed.  Each subcategory name should be on the same line as its associated
category.

<?php
$dbConnect = mysql_connect("localhost", "root", "pwd");
mysql_select_db("new_kb",$dbConnect);
$sql = "SELECT * from categories";
$result = mysql_query($sql);
for ($count = 1; $row = mysql_fetch_row ($result); ++$count)
{
print "<br>datasets[$count]=\"";
print "$row[1],";
print "$row[2]\"";
}
?>

datasets[0]="Category1,subCategory1_1
datasets[1]="Category1,subCategory1_2
datasets[2]="Category1,subCategory1_3
datasets[3]="Category1,subCategory1_4
datasets[4]="Category2,subCategory2_1
datasets[5]="Category2,subCategory2_2
etc…

Can someone explain how to write the php code to output the category and
subcategory names from the mysql table to match the javascript format above.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Roger Lewis