it is all .js right,
but there are the js_products and the js_categories javascript variables
which are server-side generated. They are dumped from the database and
encode '|' seperated values.

Btw, what you are achieving is heavily JavaScript...otherwise you can it
almost all in PHP w/o javascript...which is reload the page everytime he
chooses a new category.

something like:
panel Categories       |      panel subCats

generate categories as:
select * from categories
generate subCats as:
select * from subcats where cat={selected Cat}

add an event to the categories listbox as: onchange="this.form.submit();"

this will cause the form to reload and refill your subCats accordingly.

Elias