Oliver--

I'm afraid I wasn't too clear! If you do it the way I'm suggesting, your
page will look like it's reloading ONLY when there is new data
available, and not continuously. PHPChat is an example--it looks really
good and doesn't do any of the annoying things that reloading the page
usually does (like the stupid click click click in IE).

Marco