At 06:20 PM 12/30/02 +0800, Jason Wong wrote:
On Monday 30 December 2002 18:13, Boget, Chris wrote:
> I'm switching from a MySQL environment to PGSQL and I'm
> going through and trying to learn the differences between the
> two.

The things that bothered me the most:

o Pg doesn't have DATE_FORMAT(), or the types SET and ENUM.

o Changing database structure is harder.  With PG, I usually found it
  easier to dump, edit, then reload the database to make changes I did
  in MySQL with ALTER TABLE.

o The command line program's exit command starts with a \.  It took me
  a long time to find that...

The command line interface for pg is much better.
o  Large result sets are returned in less, and the command editor feels better.

o There are lots of cool things you can look at with the \ commands in
  the command line program.    try \help

o You can see the source code of the queries that make up the \ commands.
  I don't remember exactly how, but it is either in \help or the man page.

> * MySQL has a function to reset the result set so that it can be
> iterated through again - mysql_data_seek().
pg_fetch_array() has a third parameter that specifies which record to return.

In most cases you wouldn't
need to use that because if you're going to be using the results more than
once you could store them in an array.
I disagree...  You have easy access to the entire result set, in any order,
with either database.  You are wasting time and memory making another copy
of the data.

Rick