On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 07:57:04 -0600, you wrote:

>> >o Pg doesn't have DATE_FORMAT()
>> to_char() accomplishes the same thing, for example:
>> select to_char(lastlogin, 'FMMM-DD-YYYY FMHH:MI AM') as lastloginf
>> from users;
>
>Unless I missed something, that function doesn't work with unix timestamps.
>Is there anythin internal to PG that allows you to convert to and from unix
>timestamps?

To convert TO a unix timestamp:

select date_part('epoch', lastlogin) as lastloginf;

or

select extract(epoch from lastlogin) as lastloginf;

To convert FROM a unix timestamp:

select to_char(timestamp 'epoch' + unix_timestamp, 'FMMM-DD-YYYY
FMHH:MI AM');

>That's how I did it and it was, indeed, a pain in the butt...  But there was
>some good that came out of it.  When I created the MySQL tables, I didn't
>have foreign keys (wasn't using InnoDB), constraints or anything like that
>so in recreating the tables, I was able to implement those things to make
>life easier down the road when reworking the code and the logic.

And there is the major benefit of using Postgres...not to mention
sub-selects, views, unions, etc.  Once you get used to these things
it's very hard to give them up.