Due to writing this email *way* too early in the morning, I got
everything mixed up and didn't say what I meant.  The below
is what I really meant.

> Not sure what you're getting at here. Surely for any particular
> query, _you_ would know what table(s) is/are being used?

That's not necessarily true.  Certainly not if you are using an
abstraction layer to access the database.  Take PEAR for
example.  When instantiation on object, you give it the relevant
connection information.  When you pass a query to the query()
there's no way (ok, there's a way but it isn't necessarily accurate)
to get the table name for the query that was just run... apart from
requiring the programmer to pass the table name as another
paramter to the query() method   You can do this in mysql using
the mysql_tablename() function.
I just don't know why you can't do this in pgsql.

Chris