I use both...  and the way I see PHP handling it is like this...

First call in it will add the SESSID to the hrefs.
Next call (page load) if it finds the cookie it will not append SESSID to URL.
However if it doesn't it will.

There are a few instance were I need to get the SESSION ID and append them myself.

Redirects are a good example you need to add it yourself.

header("Location: http://mysite.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=$sid";);

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. This is just from my obeservation....