On 14-Feb-2003 joe wrote:

> "Jason Wong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> On Saturday 15 February 2003 03:17, joe wrote:
>>
>> > now to the point...
>> > i need a script. it should work on safe mode php so it should be as
> simple
>> > as possible.
>> > it should calculate all the file sizes in the directory that it is in
> and
>> > in the subdirectories also (only 1 level subdirectories). it should echo
>> > the total size of the uploaded files.
>> > then it should take the filesize and substract it from 25 megabytes.
> that
>> > is the limit on this server. then it should echo the result (the maximum
>> > number of kilobytes that can still fit on this account).
>> > unfortunately i have insuffitient knowlege to do it miself.
>> > i just want to thank anyone who can help me.
>>
>> Most of the functions that you need to accomplish this can be found in
>> chapters 'Directory functions' & 'Filesystem functions'.
>>
>> --
>> Jason Wong -> Gremlins Associates -> www.gremlins.biz
>> Open Source Software Systems Integrators
>> * Web Design & Hosting * Internet & Intranet Applications Development *
>> /*
>> We gave you an atomic bomb, what do you want, mermaids?
>> -- I. I. Rabi to the Atomic Energy Commission
>> */
>>

> i searched and i tried and i failed. most of the functions dont work in safe
> mode, some didnt do what i wanted (returned the whole drive size instead of
> one directroy) etc.
> my head hurts already and i think i am on the verge on nervous breakdown
> because i have been trying to solve this problem for days.... so could
> somebody please drop me a function here?
> thank you...

untested ...

write a shell script (and put in your safe_mode_exec_dir):
---
#!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/du -k $1 | tail -1
exit 0
---

then use popen/fgets to call the script and parse output.

Regards,
--
Don Read                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."