I tend to stay away from executing shell commands when it is not
necessary.

I've written a script for you that will do what I think you want it to
do.  It will go n levels deep and get the file size in KB of each file,
then it will return that.

You can tell the script to ignore certain files (by default it ignores .
and .., you may want to tell it to ignore itself as well) and what
directory to give the size of.

The source code is available at
http://php.shadonet.com/diskspace.php.txt

I've verified this works on my machine (4.3.0) and another machine
(4.0.6) in safe mode.

Jason