>How can I protect my php files among other files like templates
>(.inc) and mysql config  (config.inc) files being copied/read/imported
>(front page)/used by other applications other than my site...
>can this be done by htaccess? is so , could anyone point me into right
>direction?

I have renamed my sensitive (those containing l/p for mail and mysql)
files to .php and constructed them to render a blank page if ever
directly called.

Something like this:
<?
        All the sensitive code
        $db_login = "user";
        $db_pwd = "password";
        $mail_login = "mail";
        $mail_pwd = "pass";
?>

I do not think that -r to everyone would work in that Apache still needs
to read the file when included by another script.

Still looking for a better way.  What concerns me the most is if a code
disclosure bug is later discovered in 4.3.0 or another version.

Bryan