Try putting your files config files in a directory outside of the root
web directory and access the files via the include_path directive in the
php.ini file.

If you dont have access you can add create a .htaccess file or set the
configuration in a php script that is run before your other scripts.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.changes.php
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.ini-set.php

That should help you out.

Ray