ID:               15637
 Comment by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: Linux - RedHat 7.2
 PHP Version:      4.3.0-dev
 New Comment:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] suggests that "Checking the return code of ldap_bind()
would be the proper thing to do anyway."  However, the act of calling
ldap_bind generates an error message on the page, e.g.:

"Warning: LDAP: Unable to bind to server: Can't contact LDAP server in
/home/shop/www/ldaps-1.php on line 8"

before any check can be made on the results of ldap_bind().
We are trying to create our first secure ldap system, and the
false-positive returns from ldap_connect() are making it difficult to
track down problems.

[2002-07-02 11:19:51] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reverified during bughunt. From the user-comments:

"When using an URI to describe the connection, the (open)ldap library
only parses the url and checks if it's valid, _no connection_ is
established in that case."
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[2002-02-20 05:20:14] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This is not an PHP/ldap bug but a documentation problem it seems to
me.

When using an URI to describe the connection, the (open)ldap library
only parses the url and checks if it's valid, _no connection_ is
established in that case.

Checking the return code of ldap_bind() would be the proper thing to do
anyway.

[2002-02-19 20:05:48] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm running a very simple test script (see below) to test my ldap
server connection.  According to the docs, ldap_connect() is supposed
to return an LDAP resource id on successful connect, or FALSE on error.
 When I run the code with a valid server URI ($ds =
ldap_connect("ldap://ldap.example.com";)), everything works fine.  When
I run it with a URI to a nonexistent LDAP server ($ds =
ldap_connect("ldap://does.not.exist";)), ldap_connect returns a resource
ID anyway, so my script has no way of knowing anything is wrong until I
try to bind or search.  If I simply give a nonexistent hostname rather
than a URI ($ds = ldap_connect("does.not.exist")) the function returns
FALSE as documented.

I built PHP 4.1.1 against the client libraries from OpenLDAP 2.0.21.
Here's the full code of my test script:

<?php
$ds = ldap_connect("ldap://ldap.example.com/";);
echo "connect result is ".$ds."<p>";
if($ds) {
  $r=ldap_bind($ds);
  echo "Bind result is ".$r."<p>";
  $sr=ldap_search($ds, "ou=users,dc=example,dc=com", "uid=carljm");
  echo "Search result is ".$sr."<p>";
  echo "Number of entires returned is
".ldap_count_entries($ds,$sr)."<p>";
  echo "Getting entries ...<p>";
  $info = ldap_get_entries($ds, $sr);
  echo "Data for ".$info["count"]." items returned:<p>";
  for ($i=0; $i<$info["count"]; $i++) {
    echo "dn is: ". $info[$i]["dn"] ."<br>";
    echo "first cn entry is: ". $info[$i]["cn"][0] ."<br>";
    echo "first uidNumber entry is: ". $info[$i]["uidnumber"][0]
."<p>";
    }
echo "Closing connection";
ldap_close($ds);