ID:               15637
 Comment by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: Linux - RedHat 7.2
 PHP Version:      4.3.0-dev
 New Comment:

when using an ip address ldap_connect doesn't work as described.

$server = "10.1.1.100";
$port = "389";

$ds = ldap_connect($server, $port);

the result is true even if the server does not exist or the service is
not running.

[2002-12-27 16:27:34] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have observed something like this (in php-4.30rc3):
The whole script:

<?
$ldaphost = "nonexistendserver";
$ldapport = 389;
$ldapconn = ldap_connect( $ldaphost, $ldapport )
          or die( "Could not connect to {$ldaphost}" );
echo $ldapconn; // display a valid ldap resource
?>

regards.

[2002-11-29 09:07:12] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello,

in php-4.30rcX, the ldap_connect doesn't perform the connection, so
documentation should be updated.
But, the documention (on zend site) for ldap_connect is:

ldap_connect() establishes a connection to a LDAP server on a
specified
hostname and port. Both the arguments are optional. --> If no
arguments
are specified then the link identifier of the already opened link will
be returned.

In my script i don't have any previous opened link, so i think the
function would return FALSE.
Or the documention is wrong and need correction.

<?php

$ds = ldap_connect ( );
echo $ds // return a valid ldap resource

?>

Sincerely

[2002-10-31 15:09:44] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] suggests that "Checking the return code of ldap_bind()
would be the proper thing to do anyway."  However, the act of calling
ldap_bind generates an error message on the page, e.g.:

"Warning: LDAP: Unable to bind to server: Can't contact LDAP server in
/home/shop/www/ldaps-1.php on line 8"

before any check can be made on the results of ldap_bind().
We are trying to create our first secure ldap system, and the
false-positive returns from ldap_connect() are making it difficult to
track down problems.

[2002-07-02 11:19:51] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reverified during bughunt. From the user-comments:

"When using an URI to describe the connection, the (open)ldap library
only parses the url and checks if it's valid, _no connection_ is
established in that case."
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[2002-02-20 05:20:14] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This is not an PHP/ldap bug but a documentation problem it seems to
me.

    http://bugs.php.net/15637

--
Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=15637&edit=1