ID:               15637
 Comment by:       korte-php at et dot rub dot de
 Reported By:      cjm46543 at hotmail dot com
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: Linux - RedHat 7.2
 PHP Version:      4.4.0-dev
 New Comment:

Rather anoying though since ldap_bind also fails when using a wrong
password... only looking at bind fails doen't neccessarily mean, that
the ldap server is down :(

[2003-02-10 12:30:10] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

When openldap 2.x is used, the ldap_connect() does not actually
connect, it just initializes the connecting parameters. The actual
connect happens with next calls
to ldap_* funcs, usually it is 'ldap_bind()'.

This is just documentation problem. Not any bug in code.

[2003-01-24 19:51:01] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yes, I still get ldap resources everytime except when passing in "/" or
a wrong parameter count.

[2003-01-20 16:12:25] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please try using this CVS snapshot:

  http://snaps.php.net/php4-STABLE-latest.tar.gz

For Windows:

  http://snaps.php.net/win32/php4-win32-STABLE-latest.zip

With latest CVS it returns FALSE when appropriate, cannot replicate the
problem.

[2003-01-17 22:26:57] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I cannot get ldap_connect() to return false under ANY conditions,
including with the examples provided in this bug report.  I find this
behavior impossible to document, please have another look at this.
Reclassifying -> ldap related.

Shouldn't these return false?  They are not URI's:
var_dump(ldap_connect('foo'));
var_dump(ldap_connect('does.not.exist'));

I get resources with both.  apache1.3.26/php4.4/openldap2.0.23

[2003-01-06 11:28:38] martin at kouba dot at

when using an ip address ldap_connect doesn't work as described.

$server = "10.1.1.100";
$port = "389";

$ds = ldap_connect($server, $port);

the result is true even if the server does not exist or the service is
not running.

    http://bugs.php.net/15637

--
Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=15637&edit=1