The "integration" bit could be done as a documentation
bug report, with the advantage that there will be a
track record of the action/contents.

Do you mean that user notes would be automatically turned into documentation bug reports if decided by a note admin? This sounds good to me :) Others will surely point out the downsides :)

One huge downside is the bugs system didn't have such a
task in mind when it was created, and a seperate system
would be more useful and well used. Since we're
talking about actually implementing the note maintainer
system[1], I think said system should handle this and
not bugs.php.net All the ideas in this thread[2] and
other[3] threads seem to make this the desirable option.
And this was discussed at the 2003 phpdoc meeting[4]
and some interesting findings[5] came about. Because
people agreed that non-CVS users should be able to
maintain notes, this is yet another reason why bugs.php.net shouldn't get involved.

Well, if someone has no CVS account then he will not be able to fix the docbug in the documentation CVS, so he can only mark it 'to be fixed in the toc' AKA 'docbugreport', so someone with a CVS account can fix it. If the note maintainer system would enable someone to move a manual user note to be a bug, then this would not require a CVS account. Some authentication will be needed throughout the process (which requires a CVS account now), but the bug can be opened with the email address of the original user note submitter....

Or I was unable to interpret your thoughts properly? :)

Goba