Is it the intention that http://docs.php.net is going to some day
replace http://www.php.net/docs.php ?

No! doc.php.net is designed for developpers, documenters and translators. It isn't aimed for public. It will serve as a livedocs testbed, as well as revcheck for translators, list of undocumented functions, functions without examples, etc....

Okay, I just interpreted Philip's comment as the public was going to use it:
"People will slowly use it this way and the more people start using it the more people will complain and more importantly the more people will fix problems and add features. If a major problem exists there we can
redirect users to php.net/manual/"

I assumed it would but after some thought can see why it wouldn't. It will at least show livedocs during the beta process. As far as mirrors go, the new subdomain might not work so well for that :)

It will inevitably be used by the public, if we don't close it down with some password protection. There are already lot of blog posts around PHP blogs referencing livedocs setups around the net.

Goba