Hi,

I'm trying to create a list of all php functions in the manual with
their function signatures as they appear in the php docs, e.g.

file
array file ( string $filename [, int $flags = 0 [, resource $context ]] )

I need this to easily get 'tooltips' of php function signatures in
vim, so that I don't have to go online just to look up the order of
arguments each time.

I rather naively thought I could generate such a list from the php
docs but I can't really find a way to go about it. I thought the
easiest way would be to parse the xml myself and bypass the docbook
toolchain. I ran into problems with entities that I can't find
anywhere; e.g. php-doc\en\reference\curl\reference.xml uses an entity
'reference.curl.entities.functions' that isn't defined anywhere as far
as I can tell. Is this generated when building the docs?

Either way, my second option would be to use the existing stylesheets;
that would do the formatting of the signature (with optional arguments
etc) for me. I looked through the doc-base\scripts directory and
elsewhere but I can't find a concise way there either. I guess I'd
have to write a stripped down stylesheet in parallel with the html,
pdf etc ones, or run the html one and extract the pieces I need from
there. Is there a run-a-single-script way to build the php docs? I'm
on Windows, maybe that makes things more complicated.

Frankly at this point in time it seems the easiest way is to walk over
doc-base\funclist.txt, grab the function's page from the php website
and parse the function signature out of the html - which would make me
go %| if that is truly the easiest way. Is there anyone who can point
me in the right direction on how to go about extracting custom
information from the php documentation sources?

cheers,

roel