On 4 June 2012 19:23, Nikita Popov <nikita....@googlemail.com> wrote:
> What concerns me a bit is that the mysql soft deprecation notices are
> more intrusive than the "real" deprecation notices. Could we use
> something similar to show alternatives for other (really) deprecated
> functions too? (Thinking of ereg and stuff)

Absolutely, yes.  Even after all these years, it is still common to
hear people asking about the "new" deprecated message when they use
ereg() and friends, and what to do to make the error go away!  We do
have the Big Red Box near the top of the page for ereg(), but even
this does not a) link to alternatives, nor b) link to anywhere helping
to guide people on how to migrate their code: all they get is,
"Relying on this feature is highly discouraged."