On May 19, 2013, at 4:39 AM, Peter Cowburn <petercowb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 May 2013 01:04, Jakub Vrana <vr...@php.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to undocument PHP < 4.3. It means that all mentions like
>> "Available since PHP 4.3" would disappear from PHP Manual. Nobody uses
>> these version anymore and it just clutters the documentation. We've done
>> this previously for PHP < 4. I'll probably leave the mentions in the
>> DocBook but comment them out.
>>

> See the recent discussion on "Undocument PHP4" -
> http://php.markmail.org/thread/mldubfcdmdzr3efp
>
> The idea being, move any inline mention of PHP 4 to change log entries. I
> think it is still good to keep those change logs available, and to show at
> the top of a page whether a function was available in PHP 4 or not with the
> version info.

Agreed.

Jakub, could you provide a few examples of what you're proposing to
remove? I agree that the manual contains some clutter and unneeded
information, and that we've been slow to update it, but the changelog
parts seem okay and useful to me. Thoughts?

But while we're on the topic, we agreed to remove old PHP 4
extensions like this:

  http://php.net/manual/en/book.xslt.php

Unless someone objects, I think it'd be okay to remove it and
book.objaggregation and perhaps a few others. Feel free :)

Regards,
Philip