<source lang=php>
<? echo "Hello world!";
</source>

same as:

```php
<? echo "Hello world!";
```

https://github.com/adam-p/markdown-here/wiki/Markdown-Cheatsheet#code-and-syntax-highlighting

this is totally readable to me, and in `github days`, people are more
comfortable with some markdown (they love README.md)

IMHO, this change will let more people contribute with the docs...
markdowns are readable as a simple text file...
and I know that this is out of scope in this thread, but the markdown
changes mixed with Git (migration to github), will make our lives easier to
review the contributions, suggest updates for some PR and merge them as it
works with the core...

2013/8/14 Nikola Smolenski <smole...@eunet.rs>

> On 14/08/13 06:04, Christian Weiske wrote:
>
>> Have you people considered simply moving the documentation to a wiki?
>>> For example, MediaWiki?
>>>
>>> * Build time in seconds.
>>> * Wikitext syntax is as simple as any other presented so far.
>>>

>> No. Mediawiki's syntax is a pile of stinking something. There is not
>> even a formal syntax defined; the reference is MW's parser.
>>

> This is true, however no one is forcing us to use all the capabilities of
> MW. Just the basic syntax should be enough.
>

>  You have to use HTML tags inside the markup to make literal text even!
>>

> (These aren't really HTML; these are wikitext tags that are sometimes the
> same as HTML tags.) And why is that necessarily a bad thing? As I said, I
> find:
>

> <source lang=php>
> <? echo "Hello world!";
> </source>