On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 7:31 AM, Dan Ackroyd <dan...@basereality.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've started out tackling the vast number of Imagick functions that have
> either no documentation at all, or lack examples. A couple of questions:
>
> 1) Should I submit a separate patch per change? Standard best practice is
> usually to do that, but seeing as it's SVN and may take time to merge each
> patch, would it make the people who are merging changes lives easier to
> have fewer patches?

Yes. Submit a separate patch for each change.

> 2) Are there any guidelines on adding images to the doc? Some of the
> Imagick functions would seem to benefit from a pictorial example as they're
> much easier to explain visually than with text. If they're allowed, what
> size can be used and is there a recommended colour scheme?

Not really, but employ common sense where possible. i.e. we don't need
1920x1024 pixel images as examples.

> 3) Some methods are missing from the Imagick classes, and some are not
> marked as static when they should be. Is it possible for these to be edited
> online, or does that need to be generated from the source code? For example
> the page http://www.php.net/manual/en/class.imagickpixel.php seems to
> have the function list pulled in from somewhere else:
>
>    <xi:include xpointer="xmlns(db=http://docbook.org/ns/docbook)
> xpointer(id('class.imagickpixel')/db:refentry/db:refsect1[@role='description']/descendant::db:methodsynopsis[1])"
> />
>    </classsynopsis>
>   </section>
>  </partintro>
>  &reference.imagick.entities.imagickpixel;

Which methods are missing and from what classes? To mark a class as
static/public/etc.. you simply apply a modifier tag to its methodsynopsis.
For example, in
/en/reference/imagick/imagickpixel/<method-you-want-to-modify>.xml there
will be a <methodsynopsis> entity towards the beginning of the file. For
example in getcolor.xml there is the following:

<methodsynopsis>

Just add <modifier>static</modifier> if the method should be static, for
example.

> 4) As much fun as it is being 'anonymous #33522' please could I have a
> login for the online editor?

You can login to the online doc editor with a facebook/google login, I
believe, if you don't want to log in anonymously. It doesn't make much of a
difference. The OE is just a way for everyone to contribute to the docs
with minimal bar-to-entry. If you'd like to contribute to the documentation
regularly you'll want to familiarize yourself with our tool-chain. See
https://wiki.php.net/doc/howto and
https://wiki.php.net/doc/howto/gettingstarted