I use the JSON library extensively on vizreader.com so I know it works
for most things, actually the text I mentioned before that broke it
contained javascript inside it I think.

As for the tag stripping I'm actually only using PHP-cli for all my
needs at the moment, leaving Ruby out of the equation completely.

/Henrik