THE selling point of github for individuals and small projects, is the social
aspect.
And you have to think about what you are securing yourself from. It’s not like
GitHub is going to take your code and run. But if you dislike GitHub on
principle or because the data mining and the surveillance of the social
function is disgusting to you, you should not use it.