Shawn,

> Have tried all the combos given in this thread and still no luck. ...

        I have been traveling, so I did not respond sooner.  I suffered a
similar problem.  An internet search found frequent reports of similar
problems.  After replacing the hardware I submitted a report of the solution
so that it would be available to archive searches.

"After confirming:
        o /dev/pilot settings were correct
        o Palm preferences were correct
        o the Palm Device behaved the same with another desktop host and cradle
        o soft reset on Palm Device did not change behavior
        o <graffiti shortcut> . t (toggle loopback) did not change behavior
        o breakout box observation of signalling on /dev/pilot from desktop
        o breakout box observation of tx line driven on HotSync
        o breakout box observation of no tx line signalling on HotSync
        o hard reset on Palm Device did not change behavior

Solution:
        I called Palm, and they sent a replacement unit, which worked the
        first time."
        --
http://hcirisc.cs.binghamton.edu/pipermail/pilot-unix/2000-September/002807.html

      My currently working settings are
         http://hcirisc.cs.binghamton.edu/pipermail/pilot-unix/2000-October/002890.html

Good luck,
--
Dr. Robert J. Meier                               FANUC Robotics North America
tel:+1.248.377.7469                      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]