Brian

You do not need the film holder for scanning negatives or transparencies on the Epson 2450. The holder is used for getting thumbnails on the scanning software so you can do some some things
before the image is scanned.
You can just place the negative under the light and the scan will take place as a flatbed except you have
scanned a negative.
This can give a great deal more versatility and I have also found that the thumbsnails software often
malfunctions.

Alexis