8mm film is 16fps 1/16 sec. Super 8mm is 18fps 1/18sec. and that speed was for magnetic sound.
Gordy Emery

From: Brian Reynolds <reyno...@panix.com>
To: pinhole-discussion@p at ???????
Subject: Re: [pinhole-discussion] Human eye
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 23:07:18 -0500

Steve Bell wrote:
> a little fact that may help:
>
> when motion pictures/films were first being made, they were
> projected at one frame every 30th of a second. this was the slowest
> the pictures could move without the human eye detecting that it
> wasn't one, but many frames.  so my conclusion is that the slowest
> 'shutter speed' of the human eye is 1/30 sec. i'm sure that we have
> faster 'speeds' built in there somewhere.

I'm fairly sure that currently 35mm motion pictures are shot at 24
frames per second.  And either 8mm or Super8 is shot at 18 frames per
second.

If I recall correctly film shot at 24fps is projected in such a way
that each frame is shown twice at effectively 48fps.

NTSC video is about 30 frames per second, and each frame is two fields
(60 fields per second).  PAL video is 25 frames per second.  I don't
know if PAL uses fields.

There have been other (faster) frame rates used by various systems,
but they tend to lose out to the double whamy of needing special
projectors and using more film.

--
Brian Reynolds                  | "But in the new approach, as you know,
reyno...@panix.com              |  the important thing is to understand