pinhole-discussion@p at ???????

Anyone have any experience with the mechanics of Polaroid pack film?

I came across many, many boxes of slightly outdated Polaroid 553 film at a
photoswap, and I bought it, thinking it was some other size, as I was not
paying close attention... But, I get home and discover my error: I have no
camera to use with this film.

So, here I am with many, many boxes of Polaroid 553, Polapan ASA100 4x5 pack
film, and no way to use it (yet).  I can build a camera out of any damn
thing, but a homemade Polaroid back presents a bit more of a challenge.

I found a "packfilms_guide.pdf" on the Polaroid site, and this guide says,
"... After an exposure is made, pulling the white tab all the way out moves
the exposed negative from the focal plane behind the lens to a position
facing the positive sheet.  Simultaneously, the larger tab of the film is
positioned between the rollers, and sticks out of the camera or film holder
where it can be grasped...."

I can figure out a back to contain the pack, and I suppose I can accomodate
the black and white tab slots, and I suppose I can figure out a way to make
rollers, but I'm a surprised that the negative actually moves to make
contact with the positive before being extracted through the rollers to
break the pod, etc...  I've stared deeply into an old Polaroid 250 to figure
out how it works, but I'm wondering if there is more to it than meets the
eye... especially with the negative moving into place.

Anyone ever done a hack to use pack film?  Any advice?  The film was cheap,
and I don't want to invest in a $50 or $100 back, I just want to figure out
how to use the film!

Thanks,

Michael Georgoff
San Jose, CA