I use photoshop too.

Photoshop is designed to be a pre-press tool, allowing one to manipulate
an image file with the assumption that the image is going to end up in
print finally - though this isn't often the case.

Gimp is designed primarily as a tool to manipulate images that live on
computers - though I get better print quality from Gimp than from
Photoshop on my cheap printer

Gimp does support scripting - the ability to repeated operations over and
over automatically - from a script.

I don't think photoshop can do that.

There are also newer versions of gimp that work at a greater color depth

Gord