thanks. Yes, I used Gimp curves to change contrast. One thing is my scanner isn't really a hi-end one and that causes even more problems to contrast and tonality. As my win98 is mainly for my kids to play (though I have Corel PhotoPaint) I use only Linux and Gimp, win98 crashes almost every time I try to scan.

I placed a #0 filter behind my camera and took photos. They're still drying, but looks like they are really much better with tonality than without the filter. Filter kit I have is Ilford Multigrade. The tests I made showed that in a clear sunshine without filter 30 sec. was enough but using filter 2 mins. had to be exposed. Any reason for this long exposure? The guide in the filter box says that when enlargening using #0 filter has no effect in exposure time.

My camera is 4x5 from an article of Popular Woodwork, searching the web gave this link, but I printed the article so I don't have the url anymore.
Focal length is 120 mm.

Jeff Dilcher wrote:

Good job!  What kind of camera are you using, and what
kind of focal length?  I have always shot film, but would
like to experiment with paper.

What did you mean by Gimp curves?  changing contrast?
I have found that this is almost always necessary with my
pinhole film scans, and even my digital camera pics.

Gimp is a great free photo editor, primarily used in Linux.
I wonder if anyone else on the list uses it?